La Ventana is famous for it’s strong, consistent wind from November to April, attracting people from around the world to enjoy wind sports in the beautiful Sea of Cortez.
Pelican Reef/Ventana Kite School (formerly Captain Kirk’s)
Our on premise kite school has 25 years of experience and is equipped with the latest Ocean Rodeo gear. All instructors are IKO certified. We support our students with quads, radio helmets and a jet ski on request.
Adam, our kite school manager, and his team of IKO certified instructors will get you ridding happily and safely!
We’ve been told “There’s no better kite school anywhere”.
In addition, Pelican Reef/Ventana guests get 30% off Ocean Rodeo gear
All Pelican Reef/Ventana clients get discounts on New Ocean Rodeo Kite gear! Stay with us and/or learn to kite at our on-site kite school and get the 30% off new gear.
KITE LESSONS – PRICING
- A beginner package is $750USD (+tax) for 9 hours of lessons with gear & radio helmet
- Additional lessons are $95USD/hr (+tax); +$20/hr extra with jetski support
- We also offer specialized lessons for the more advanced riders – Jumping, surfing or taking your riding to the next level
KITE LESSONS – DETAILS
LESSON 1 – 3hrs: KITE SCHOOL 101 (On Land)
- Kiter Safety & Responsibility
- Site Selection & Environment Awareness “Beach, Water & Weather”
- Gear Selection
- Kite Inflating & Rigging
- Control Bar & Safety Releases
- Launching & Landing
- Flying In The Wind Window
- Power Control
- Quick de-power
- Pack Up Kite & Wrap Up Bar
LESSON 2 – 3hrs: KITE CONTROL & ADVANCED TRAINING
- Review of First Lesson
- Kite Care & Maintenance,
- Kite Inflating & Rigging (Review)
- Alternate Launching Techniques
- Control Bar & Luff Control
- Kite Control
- Kite On The Move
- Sliding On Your Feet
- On The Beach “Waterstart”
On Water Body:
- Water Re-launching
LESSON 3 – 3hrs: WATER LESSON & BOARD CONTROL
- Review Of Lessons 1&2
- Upwind Body dragging
- Body dragging With The Board
- “Getting Off Shore”
- On-water Kite & Board Handling: Water starting, Board Work, Riding Away
- Advanced Waterwork: Stance & Legwork, Speed Control, Edging Upwind,
- Performance Analysis
Stand Up Paddleboards
The mornings are usually calm on the Sea of Cortez and ideal for a flat water paddle. SUP’s rentals available and sea kayaks are free of charge on the property.
La Ventana is quickly becoming a hot spot for mountain biking in Mexico with over 100km of scenic desert mountain bike trails. Leave right from the door and be on the trails within 10 minutes in both directions. Mountain bike rentals are available close by.
Our neighbours offer daily fishing excursions including spearfishing out to Isla Cerralvo and beyond. The sea of Cortez is renowned for it’s abundant and diverse marine life. Jacques Cousteau called it “The World’s Aquarium”.
Other fun things to do
- Whale watching
- Surfing on the Pacific side
- Hiking the desert trails
- Participating in open mike sessions
- Enjoying the authentic Mexican restaurants and music events